2011-09-29 / Columns


By Lois Movalson

It looks like we’re in for a few days of gray and rainy days, so typical of late September. I think of friends who came by to visit on the front porch, including proud grandmother, Janice O’Boyle, and her cute granddaughter, Evalyn Jean Coon. One evening Max McKee dropped by and we had a great time talking of the early days of Sand Products, when Max’s uncle, Pete McKee, was starting the mine up. Pete had his feet under our dining room table many times during the years he took care of the sand business. Max, his brother, Pat, and sister, Marie, used to stop by with their parents, Brad and Caroline McKee, and have a little social time with Dave, Jr., Tracy, and Eric at the Marathon service station.

Bob Jarzynka is pulling up his summer flowers, tidying up the vegetable garden, and working on his walking sticks.

Condolences to the family of Dick Marshall of St. Ignace, who passed away Wednesday, September 21, and also to the family of Michael “Max” Bentley, formerly of St. Ignace, who passed away Tuesday, September 13, in Valdez, Alaska.

The Red Hat Society Jewels of the North will gather Thursday, October 6, at 5:30 p.m. for a dinner meeting at the Village Inn.

Jeff Cranson of Wildwood Lane and Grand Ledge was involved in a bad accident while working on a pole barn at his home when he fell off a ladder while installing siding near the peak of the roof. He landed on his heels and then the ladder closed on his ankles. His heels were crushed. He had surgery last week and is recovering at home, but he will not be able to walk for eight to 10 weeks. Cards may be sent to Jeff at the following address: 13413 Riverwoods Trail, Grand Ledge, MI 48837. Heal quickly, Jeff.

John and Pega Kennedy have returned home from their cruise to Alaska. They visited with Rob and Beth (nee Sunderland) Logan before taking off from Bishop Airport in Flint. While in Seattle, Washington, they met with their niece, Mindy Smith, and her son, Brian Sullivan, who just returned from Afghanistan this summer. Pega and John boarded the ship in Seattle. The scenery was spectacular. One of the highlights of the trip was docking in Juneau, Alaska, and Pastor Tari Stage-Harvey meeting them on the dock. They enjoyed seeing their home, church, and, of course, the family. Pastor Tari’s husband, Kurt, had caught a huge King Salmon the night before and he grilled it for dinner. John and Pega arrived home safe and sound.

Terry Cece of Epoufette left Saturday, September 24, to join in the National Forest Service firefighting efforts in Texas.

Sharon and Joe Chalmers went to see the movie, “Moneyball.” Sharon said it was a great movie for baseball fans, and even those who are not.

Morgan Gustafson was a lucky hunter this season. She bagged a spike horn early Sunday morning, September 25. Congratulations, Morgan.

We hope Tom Coffey is lucky trapping the red squirrel that has set up residence in his cottage on the beach. He has two traps set for the interloper.

I had a chat with Gordon Knight as he was getting his vehicle checked at a car dealership last week.

Max and Debbie Baldon of Saline spent two weeks at their condominium in Brevort.

Charlie and Pam Movalson of Howell spent a long weekend at the cottage on Lake Michigan. They did a little bird hunting, but the foliage is heavy yet, so not much success.

Marian Nelson of St. Ignace has been home with her daughter, Becky Barber. Marian has enjoyed visits from many friends and family before she leaves again to stay with Becky and her family.

Melissa Foster and Jessie Jackson traveled from Chagrin Falls, Ohio, to spend time with Jack and Thora Shepard.

Jack and Thora drove to Mio to spend Friday, September 23, and Saturday, September 24, with Albert and Rhonda Mundt. They went to the Fiber Fair at the Ogemaw County Fairgrounds. Thursday, September 22, everyone went to see Tucker Shepard play his first peewee football game, which they won. Congratulations.

Last week Mary Ann First and a friend, Judy Conrad, took the Conrads’ pontoon out on big Brevoort Lake to do a little fishing. While out in the middle of the lake, the motor quit. There was a nice breeze blowing from the south and it pushed the boat to the north shore, right in front of Marvin Federighe’s home. Marvin and his son, who was visiting at the time, came to their assistance, popped the top of the motor up, and proceeded to get it running again. The girls decided to go back out to try their luck again. At about 5:30 p.m. the motor gave out again and the boat started to float back north. Bear in mind that there are other watercraft on the lake. Fortunately, they didn’t collide with any other boats. This time Deb and Louie Hewlett came to the rescue and towed them in to the Conrad dock. The fishing wasn’t good, but it was an adventure.

An address has been provided where friends may write to Eric Barthelemy, in care of the U.S. Army. Letters will be accepted at this address, but not newspaper clippings or packages. Eric is in basic training, with a planned graduation date of October 20. His address is: PV2 Barthelemy Eric; ACO 3-47 INF; 1st Platoon RN #108; 9697 2nd Armored Division Road; Fort Benning, GA 31905.

Dave and I seem to spend a lot of time in hospital waiting rooms lately and sometimes happen to meet old acquaintances. Last week we met Connie Paquin and Evelyn Selby, both of Rexton. There was lots to talk about as Evelyn and her sister, Avis, worked at my folks’ restaurant, the Brevort Resort, for many years. That was in 1955 and 1956. It seems not that long ago, though.

Happy third birthday to Dylan Shepard October 1.

Happy belated anniversary to Bea and John Zak, who celebrated September 26. Happy anniversary to John and Pega Kennedy September 28 and Bob and Diane Shockey October 4.

Return to top

Click here for digital edition
2011-09-29 digital edition